Why are masks important in a layered protection strategy (vaccinations, masks, ventilation, testing)?
Not all masks are created equal. Cloth masks and surgical masks simply do not provide the same level of protection as high-filtration masks. Consider upgrading your masks now.
- Aaron Collins' reusable mask test results show less filtration efficiency than the same test on KF94s, which showed 95+% before and after 40 hours of use
What are the differences between masks?
High-filtration masks are largely the same in terms of 94-95% filtration, but the main difference is N95 = American, KF94 = Korean equivalent, and KN95 = Chinese equivalent.
What are the best masks for kids?
- How to find the best KN95 masks for kids because the cloth face mask isn't cutting it.
- Best Face Masks for Kids 2022 | The Strategist
- Resources from Youtuber Aaron Collins (self labeled the "Mask Nerd"), a mechanical engineer with a background in aerosol science who has spent the pandemic testing hundreds of masks
- Mask reviews on Youtube by Lloyd Armbrust
Where can I buy high-filtration masks?
There are many counterfeit masks out there, especially on Amazon, so be carefully when purchasing new masks.
Mask fit is just as important as mask filtration.
Check out Aaron Collins' fitting tips starting at 16:27. Which masks works best for you or your child is a very personal thing as fit and comfort matter. The CDC stresses that the best mask is one that fits well and is thus easy to wear consistently, and that any mask is better than no mask. You may need to try several masks to find a comfortable one, but if no high-filtration mask is comfortable, consider wearing a medical-grade surgical mask, then put a well-fitting, finely woven cloth mask on top.
Are high-filtration masks one-time use?
The number of times masks can be reused depends on their condition and how often they're used. A child who's using it the entire day at school might have to change them out every few days. The mask should be thrown out if it's clearly dented and out of shape or if it's damp or soiled. Do not try to clean them by spraying them with sanitizer or water, or microwaving the masks. It is recommended to have two or three masks that you are using in rotation. After using a mask, put it into a plastic bag or container to self sanitize for a few days. Use another mask the next day, and then come back to the first mask.